Yes, I would agree that Windoze is the culprit.

I solved my problem by replacing the Windows Gateway with a Linux
Gateway (SuSE 7.0). Much more reliable. This has never crashed since it
was installed. It was last booted over 6 months ago.

I also use Linux (SuSE 7.2) as my workstation. Connections the AS/400
never go down (Telnet, FTP, HTTP, Netserver, etc.). All systems are go!!

I only use Windoze when I have to. Then the old instabilities come back.
 - Please IBM, get your finger out and make Linux compatible versions of
Ops Navigator and Code/400.

I think Windoze wait for the TCP/IP reply, somehow misses or looses it,
and goes into a wait state for that reply. Eventually it times out.

Trying to persuade IBM 'fix' this problem is probably a waste of time. I
don't think it's IBM's problem. I don't think they can fix it!!
Microsoft needs to fix this one.

Syd Nicholson
Castlehill Computer Services Ltd.
sydnic@ccs400.com