Yes they will want the serial # of the system.  And the license keys they
generate (IBM still needs to create these keys if you purchase LPP's from
someone else, and will probably ask you to fax copies of the PoE's to them
first) will only work for the software tier (P05, P10, etc.) you pay for.
For an "initial order" that means you are buying the LPP's from IBM, so
you wouldn't have any PoE's until they send them to you with the initial
order.
If you are talking about upgrading software and trying to get the upgrade
instead of new price, then if you were the registered owner at the
previous release they wouldn't ask you to send in a PoE for an upgrade
order, as long as IBM's records for that system are correct.  And they
don't usually ask to see a PoE if you are transferring licenses from an
old to new system.  You WILL need the PoE's when transferring any LPP's
from/to a new owner though in order to obtain the license keys.

...Neil

"Steve Richter" <srichter@autocoder.com>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
2002/03/01 17:05