From: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com [mailto:midrange-l-admin@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Ray Peterson
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 12:30 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Client Access disconnecting

Jim...

We've been there with the CA drop problem and have it resolved!  In our case
it turned out to be a telco problem  that the phone company could not see
with their test equipment.  Since the telco's test equipment (something
called a "T-bird" I think) showed a flawless T1 with no bit errors, no
alarms, etc. they insisted the problem had to be in our equipment.  After
many months of trouble shooting, we finally isolated the problem down to an
anomaly on an OC-12 coming in to a state owned ATM switch which is housed in
our building.  Fortunately one of the State of Wisconsin tech's in Madison
could see the errors on the OC-12 even though the telco's tests showed an
error free T1!  With the state on our side we had some leverage, however
after further testing the telcos were sure the problems were due to either
faulty power or rf interference from our own equipment.  We wound up having
to cut all power to the building to eliminate all sources of interference
and rf from our stuff.  The ATM switch went on battery power and the techs
in Madison could still see the problem!  With that proof, the telco had to
admit the problem was indeed theirs and not ours.  I'm not sure what they
actually did to fix the problem, but it only took a day or two.

The bottom line is that a problem that was transparent to the T1 test
equipment would kill CA/400 sessions.  Fortunately, the problem could be
seen on the OC-12.  The state of Wisconsin has invested over a $100 Million
in this network.  The only reason we were able to isolate the problem was
thru the help of a state employee who could see the problem.  I'm not sure
we would have ever gotten the telco to look at an OC-12 to fix a problem
with a T1.  It just doesn't make sense to test at that level.  But that's
where the problem was.

Ray