As far as unattended release updates go, we've taken a step back from
where we were at around 1994.  You used to get tailored release upgrade
tapes, so with 8mm your entire upgrade was on one tape.   Leave it in the
drive at work, when you wanted to start the upgrade connect from home and
PWRDWNSYS *IMMED RESTART(*YES) IPLSRC(D)
Yes, admittedly the CD's have elimibated teh tape media problems (although
I did have one customer receive a cracked CD sealed in an unopened and
undamaged jewel case), but honestly, the V5R1 upgrade I did last weekend
required almost 20 CD'S !!!  That's ridiculous.
With the optional DVD drive, tIBM needs to go back to creating a custom
install DVD for a customer with everything stacked on the one DVD - and
the lates cum package, Hipers, Database group PTF's and Client Access
PTF's (as of the date they produce teh order) should all be stacked on the
same DVD.  They should also stack the order on a single tape (maybe with a
reasonable media charge) for those who want to take the chance on a media
error on tape.  Latest QIC and LTO  tapes are much more reliable than the
old 1/2" reel, old QIC, 8mm etc they used to distribute software on.

...Neil

"Eduard van den Braken" <e.vd.braken@hccnet.nl>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
2002/02/27 10:31