<snip>
It's not unusual for us to propose an upgrade more than once (i.e. this
year and next year)before it is approved.  I hate to waste the business
partner's time when most likely it will be cut the first year it is
proposed.
<endsnip>

My last word on this subject, because I think the thread has lost its
value, however, do not feel you are wasting a business partners time when
you engage them for assistance in budgeting, long term planning, and
general technology assistance or advise.  The word "Partner"  involves a
two way communications and relationship.  Many of my clients will not buy
any hardware or significant services this year, but that does not stop me
from providing planning assistance and advise.  Good partners never
consider your request for budget numbers a waste.  If you ever need budget
numbers call your business partner and tell them. Not only can they provide
the budget numbers, but help you to justify the requests. There are poor
partners out there who are only interested in taking hardware orders,
discounting the price and shipping, but they don't usually last long nor
really make any money, nor is IBM interested in helping them.  Find a
Premier partner in your area to work with.  They have demonstrated the
traits needed to be a real partner for the long run.  If you are having a
hard time finding a partner to work with, call IBM and ask for your local
rep.  They have the responsibility to make sure the partners do react to
customer needs.

Jim Oberholtzer
Senior Technical Architect
Computech Resources, Inc.