                    Buck Calabro
                    <Buck.Calabro@comms       To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    oft.net>                  cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     RE: DDS Screens To
Java
                    midrange-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    02/22/2002 03:30 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

>>RPG

>>instead of
>>c  exfmt getcust

>>you do
>>c  call  'exfmtAPI'
>>c  parm  getcustDataStructure
>>c  parm  errorFlag
You make it look so simple ;>

>>EXFMTAPI then passes the I/O buffer to the Java bean/CGI program/??? that
>>interprets it and pops it out to the web browser.

>>I know it's silly to add this, but why does management think it's better
>>spend no money on a tool/runtime/training for the applications that
>>(apparently) pay the bills?
Management always wants to go cheap... They do not understand the
complexity of going from a Green screen to the web.

>> Try as hard as you can to convince the Powers
>>That Be that paying for somebody else's expertise here is money well
spent.

>>I 'learnt' for months before I became proficient with administering
>>Websphere, the HTTP server, the IFS security issues, the job logs, the
log
>>files ('find me if you can!'), the goofy Java stack traces, searching
>>newsgroups/mailing lists for similar symptoms, writing test servlets/web
>>pages/cgi scripts - oh it's a brave new world you're peering into!

How long did it take you to convert everything?
We have about 900 display files and about 1600 programs and are expecting
it to
take about 6 years the manual route with 4 programmers working on it.
We don't want to take that long so we were checking around with the big
guys
and most of them say about 9 months to a year, but management saw the price
tags
and wanted to know if we could go cheaper. I guess they did not take into
account
the time it would take would also be costly,much more so than paying for
the tools.
We are really looking to see if there was an quick/easy/cheap way to do
this.
If cheap is not an option we will probably be able to convince management
just had
to check.

  --buck

"Thousands of geniuses live and die undiscovered --
 either by themselves or by others." -Mark Twain