> From: "James Rich" <james@eaerich.com>
> Many smaller businesses cannot afford an iSeries.  But linux
> is within their reach.  My company would love to sell them
> software, but we don't want to rewrite our iSeries apps.  We
> could sell them our software if it ran on linux.

The base price of a 1070 CPW iSeries is $10,700.  However, by adding 50
"interactive" CPW the price raises to $67,000.

If base price is the concern, then it seems a lot easier to convert an
application to use less (maybe zero) "interactive" CPW, than to port it to
another platform.

Rather than build an os/400 environment (including native compilers) for
Linux, it seems to me that a better alternative would be to build a tool
that converts legacy applications to use something other than IBM's 5250
interface.

Nathan M. Andelin
www.relational-data.com