I have an E45 (uh... at home... doesn't everyone?).

Anyway, I was concerned about my electric bill.  I got a clamp meter (Fluke
was the brand) that measure current.  It draws about 5 amps at 220V, or
1100watts.  This is a single rack with two drawers of 9337 disk, the
internal QIC tape drive and a 7208 style, dual drive 8mm tape.

Maybe that will give you a benchmark.

In my neighborhood, the juice costs about 14 cents per KwH.  I figure this
beast costs $110/month to keep running.  As you can guess, I don't turn it
on unless I need it.

I also have a rack full of boxes - a 170-2289 (one box, 4 disk drives,
internal tape), 4 PCs, a couple routers.  That whole rack draws 5 amps at
120V, or 600watts.  I measured one of the PCs (P4-1.8GHz).  About 100watts
with the monitor turned off.  Backing into a number, my 170 draws about
200-300 watts.  Your 270 is probably in that ball park.

The only way to really tell is to use a clamp meter.  The specs you
typically find will be aimed high for cooling planning.

Go... FASTER!  Without an upgrade!  With ARCTOOLS/400(tm)
http://www.arctools.com
info@arctools.com
DCSoftware, Inc.
Ph: (508) 435-8243