Insider Weekly

V5 PTF is Catch-22

By Sarah Kimmel
Friday, Februrary 8, 2002

      Shops doing remote journaling should be wary of a V5R1 PTF Catch-22, the
Insider has exclusively learned.

      Here's the catch. If you haven't installed PTF MF27586, storage used in
user profiles may be misreported. However, if you have installed PTF MF27586,
your past user profiles may still be incorrect.

      "Although this is a bug, it's relatively small. It won't bring down your
machine but your data may be corrupt," says Al Barsa, president, Barsa
Consulting Group, Purchase, NY.

      The problem the PTF solves: In V5R1, a bug prevented storage in user
profiles to be seen as replenished. When a journal receiver is created, the
user gets charged with the storage used. When the journal receiver is deleted,
that storage freed should be credited back to the user. However, this was not
the case, hence the creation of PTF MF27586.

      "If you create several journal receivers, you may end up with a
tremendous amount of storage used. In my case, one user profile ended up
showing more storage used than was available on the entire system," says Bernie
de Leseleuc, AS/400 technical manager, Pentair Inc., Jackson, TN.

      The PTF only does half the job. PTF MF27586 ensures that the correct user
profile is credited when a journal receiver is deleted. However, this doesn't
retroactively fix those that were not credited prior to the PTF application.

      "You'd think that reclaim storage should fix the problem, but it was
built before journaling was and has been so stable in the past that no one
bothered to fix it," says Barsa.

      The Insider pressed Rochester to provide customers with a work-around
that would quickly and easily remedy the user profiles with incorrect storage
levels.

      "Existing user profiles may still be inaccurate, but they can be
corrected via [these] steps," says Tim Dallman, media relations, IBM,
Rochester, MN.

  If you've applied the PTF, take these steps:

  Step 1. Put the system in manual mode.
  Step 2. Issue a PWRDWNSYS to IPL.
  Step 3. When the DST screen appears, put the system in normal mode.
  Step 4. Re-IPL via Option 3 on the op panel.
  Step 5. When the IPL completes, issue a DSPUSRPRF TYPE(*OBJOWN) for any user
profiles that are suspected to need correcting. It may be desirable to issue
this via a batch job.

      "Although it seems long, IBM's fix should only take a little over an
hour, depending on the speed of your box, the number of objects and the number
of users that are using journaling," says Barsa.