Following the example in the "Inside Version 5" newsletters for August,
September, and October... I created an application to access mutiple
systems.  The application works correctly the first time, the 2nd time I
receive the following error:

Message ID . . . . . . :   SQL0842       Severity . . . . . . . :   30

Message type . . . . . :   Diagnostic

Date sent  . . . . . . :   02/07/02      Time sent  . . . . . . :   15:18:40

Message . . . . :   Connection to relational database MCBELL6 already
exists.
Cause . . . . . :   An attempt was made to do one of the following:

    -- CONNECT to a relational database when the connection is active.

    -- CONNECT to a relational database that has the same communication
information as a connection to a relational database that is active.  The
active relational database is MCBELL6.
Recovery  . . . :   If CONNECT was specified, either use the SET CONNECTION
statement to make relational database MCBELL6 the current connection or
change the RDB directory entry (CHGRDBDIRE) for the relational database you
are connecting to so that at least part of the communication information is
different from what is specified in the entry for MCBELL6.  For APPC
connections, the communication information is the remote location, device
description, local location, remote network identifier, mode, and
transaction program. For TCP/IP connections, the communication information
is the remote location and port identification.

I resolved the issue by adding a "COMMIT" statement when the program exits.

Can anyone shedd some light on why this is happening, because my perference
is to not have the "COMMIT" statement in the program if possible.

TIA

Michael Smith