Jim

Different people have different ways or comfort levels with how best to
access information like this that they desire.  In my case, I have a library
called THE XFILES into which I do various dumps from Query/400 & IBM DSP this
or that to *OUTFILE & I periodically check to see that THE XFILES in totality
are not abusing disk space.

The "X" in XFILES is for "Extraction" of information into some weird unusual
format that is not what we normally associate with being "real" data.

95% of the *OUTFILE are accessed by Query/400 & in a few cases I have a CLP
program that does the *OUTFILE then a Query/400 extracts JUST what I want
into a second Query/400 work file, then we drop the *OUTFILE along with its
extraneous information & we use the second work file for serious analysis.

I have one program that is RPG with SQL embedded that reads through several
*OUTFILEs in sequential sequence with a mother of all case statements (if you
have never seen EDI software which can be a grand mother of all case
statements) then as it gets to each file statistics from the *OUTFILE it uses
SQL to interrogate the actual file involved & the whole purpose of this is to
help me focus on which files are in the greatest need of certain kinds of
periodic support.

GO CMDSCDE has several jobs that run weekly & other schedules that generate
for me a report on the analysis & clean up the work files after the report is
created.  These are mainly for disk space management of files prone to need
clean up.