Mike,
What about putting an entry in the system reply list ?

BTW, I sometimes had problems with switches and *AUTO negotiation
on 10/100 MBit Ethernet NICs. In the early days of NWAY standard not
all switches managed this very well, if at all. Sometimes the machines found
a way to communicate, sometimes not. My recommendation is to set to
100 MBit Half Duplex, then.

Regards from germany, Philipp Rusch