Mike:

On Fri, 01 February 2002, "Mike Shaw" wrote:

> If CAE V5R1 is no cost and the use of Mocha requires cash, how do you
> justify that to management with deep pockets and short arms??????????  :-)
> CAE wins in that model, right, wrong, or indifferent.

Given a Mocha site license cost of $250, it might be easy to justify if two
assumptions can be demonstrated:

1) CAE has a large minimum installation requirement (30MB minimum?). Setup time
can also be significant. If Mocha is small and needs less setup, a site license
might pay for itself quickly.

2) CA in general can take significant ongoing maintenance effort. Mocha might
take a number of workstations out of that picture.

With a good automated structure for installing, configuring and maintaining CA,
some sites might never justify Mocha when many CA features are used. But simple
emulation shouldn't need a 30MB footprint.

Further, there are numerous reasons why Mocha and CA might be installed on the
same workstations. For example, Mocha could be a very handy 'hot backup' to CA
emulation for those rare occasions when there are problems with host servers
such as the *SIGNON server -- Mocha could continue to connect when CA would be
locked out.

It's been a few years since I tried Mocha. Back then, I couldn't see it was
worth the trouble. But I suspect it's much easier now given the range of
compliments I've seen for it, and I wouldn't be surprised if it could be
justified at many of the same sites already using CA.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.