thomas@inorbit.com wrote:

>What has my interest in this is the difference between "open systems" and
>"open source". The distinction seems to have blurred significantly recently.
>I'm not clear if any difference remains.

Well, it probably makes a difference to you and I when we are out
shopping and know whether we are looking for a system that used
independent standards or looking for software products with the source
available to us.

But in the case of corporate posturing and promotion, I don't think it
matters at all. Companies play whatever tune the industry rags will echo.

>I can't tell if journalists are reporting one phrase in place of another nor
>if speakers are meaning one but saying the other.

I would consider that both are possible, but I'd figure usually
corporate execs are working from written materials and would have a
better chance of being accurate.

--
Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one
that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 1 John 4:7