>  By casting themselves in the light of "open
> systems" and pointing out that Microsoft is proprietary,

What has my interest in this is the difference between "open systems" and "open
source". The distinction seems to have blurred significantly recently. I'm not
clear if any difference remains.

I can't tell if journalists are reporting one phrase in place of another nor if
speakers are meaning one but saying the other.

For specific example, I've seen 'grid computing' defined in terms of "open
systems" and "open protocols"; but I've also seen it written about in the same
sentences as "open source" as if "open source" was a requirement without
stating what components were required to be "open source".

Tom Liotta

Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.
19426 68th Avenue South