From: Mike Shaw <mhshaw@worldnet.att.net>
> I think the more appropriate way of saying that is that it does not
> distinguish between batch or interactive.  Its all a batch job whether it
is
> interactive command line access or a batch process running in the
> background

I think that IBM just use the standard CFINT technique that they
also use for DSD or for boxes with zero interactive capability.
You are always allowed to run ONE green screen job. If you
try to run more, CFINT kicks in hard and your machine essentially
stops doing useful work.

What is interesting is the spin IBM tries to put on this. Quoting
from the press:

"BM's 5250 interactive green-screen software, used to support
RPG and COBOL programs, has been de-activated on these
three Model 820 machines, and that has nothing to do with Linux.
Green-screen applications were not supported on these machines
when they were announced last April, because they are intended
to support Java or C/C++ applications or those that rely on SQL
and Web interfaces."

De-activated? This seems to imply that the green-screen
support is still there, but is somehow not active. Me thinks
that fits in with the CFINT theory, but, as Tom and Chris like
to point out, one never really KNOWS what IBM's reasons
are and how they think.