I have told my users since time immemorial that per management fiat,
any user is allowed to look at any other user reports

 ... I used to set up security so that stuff was private by department ...
engineers could not look at financials ... sales people could not look at
engineering stuff, etc. but denied people screamed to top management who told
me that everyone needed to see everything.

Thus, think of creating a report as publishing information that anyone in the
company can see, if they know how to work the systems, until such time as you
have printed & deleted it & even then, some co-worker might have made a copy
unbeknownst to you.  If you have a scenario (e.g. paychecks, legal documents,
confidential memos) where you want something not shared with the whole
company, make your case to management that this is a legitimate exception to
their rules, and we will figure out how to implement your request.

I guess at Scott's company there is a corporate culture of secrecy, while at
Al's & Rob's there is a philosophy that the more people know about costs &
details, the more we can collaborate for productivity.  This may be related
to industry.