Dare,

I had two thoughts on the developer's program idea.  The first is IBM's
PartnerWorld for Developers, which has been around for a very long time.
The second is not in place yet, but there is an initiative under
consideration within the iSeries Nation program to make low-cost
machines available.  I don't know specifics on the second, your best
source of information might be the archives of this list.

PartnerWorld for Developers is an IBM program to support development on
their platforms.  They have access to low cost hardware.  I haven't
participated recently, but a few years ago, all IBM software was
available at no cost and no charges for software subscription.  More
information at:

http://www.developer.ibm.com/welcome/hwmall.html

I don't think you missed any of my points.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse