John, you might be right.  We've discovered that a major BPCS program is
owned by SSA, *OWNER and has adopt authority turned on - SSAZ99:  The BPCS
menu.  And it does hold true for a command line called from under that
program.

Here is the big clue!!!!!

Object . . . . . . . :   DUH3            Owner  . . . . . . . :   SSA
  Library  . . . . . :     ROB           Primary group  . . . :   *NONE
Object type  . . . . :   *FILE

Object secured by authorization list  . . . . . . . . . . . . :   *NONE

                         Object
User        Group       Authority
SSA                     *ALL
*PUBLIC                 *EXCLUDE
*ADOPT                  *ALL

Reeve,
When you do a WRKOBJ and do an option 5 to display authority, do you see
*ADOPT as a user?

Benjamin Franklin

                    "John Earl"
                    <johnearl@powertech       To:     <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    group.com>                cc:
                    Sent by:                  Fax to:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Subject:     Re: Authority issue
                    drange.com

                    01/15/2002 03:23 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

> It sounds to me like the program is using the authority of the programs
> owner and not that of the user.  Change the program to use user authority
or
> give the owner the authority to perform the task.

I don't think that this is possible.  Aopted authority is cuulative,
meaning
that when you adopt the authority of another user you get the combined
authorities of both users.  It's not exclusive the way that swapped
profiles
are.

> I created a file.  If I clear the file (clrpfm) from the command line,
all
> is well.
>
> If I call a program from a command line that clears this file, I get an
> error message saying that I am not authorized.

Assuming that you call the program from the from the same session (indeed
the same command line) that the clrpfm was run, there is one scenario that
can think of that could cause this...

-You are not authorized to clear FILE1.
-USER1 is authorized to clear FILE1.
-USER1 owns PROGRAMA
-PROGRAMA adopts it's owner's authority (USRPRF(*OWNER)).
-You call PROGRAMA.
-You access a command line while PROGRAMA is still open.
-You are able to clrpfm FILE1 because you are running under PROGRAMA which
adopts USER1's authority.
-You access a PROGRAMB while PROGRAMA is still open.
-PROGRAMB states "Use Adopted Authority=*NO"  (USEADPAUT(*NO))
-You are not able to clrpfm FILE1 because PROGRAMB has stipulated that you
are not to acquire adopted authority from a previous program (PROGRAMA in
this case).

Does that fit?

jte