> Just got a new 270 & finally configured Ops Console, both for
> direct cable &
> lan attachment, via a #2838 ethernet port.
>
> Now I have the Lan console via ethernet, I am unable to vary
> on the ethernet
> line for normal operations & TCP use.  I get CPD2656 line failed.

That's right - the LAN console requires a DEDICATED Ethernet card - no way
around it!

> I have been into DST to try and disable the ops console via
> lan, but it
> makes no difference.

You'll need to change the console type in DST back to Operations Console,
IPL and see how you go.

> Has anyone else been down this route ?
>
> Why can't we just have dumb terminals as consoles once again ?

A sentiment many share, but I personally love Operations Console.  The V4R5
to V5R1 upgrade is a bit fiddly, but once it's going, it goes well.

Regards,

Dwayne Lindner
Team Leader - Data Centre
Wesfarmers Rural Information Technology