From: darren@dekko.com [mailto:darren@dekko.com]
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 10:26 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: sql help-select sum of 2 fields in flat file

I try to use SQL wherever possible, but in this case, it may be very
difficult if possible.  As I understand it, you're trying to sum fields
in
a record which are not externally described to allow SQL to identify
them.

If you ultimately decide to try RPG native file access be sure to check
out
the BLOCK(*YES) keyword.  In some cases it can increase straight reads
from
a file.  Using the Blocking effectively is sometimes what appears to
give
SQL the advantage.  If it were me I'd try it with and without to see if
there was any difference.