The good news is that stuff on native AS/400 is already encrypted as far as
400 security is concerned.  The challenge is that internet & PC standards
have various ways to communicate with computers in which security is not part
of the design.

So you generally have to look at stuff like FTP & Wireless & so forth to see
if this or that can be locked down & if it cannot, then the people at the
company know that it cannot & you either use it knowing the security hole, or
not use it & be safe.

> I was just asked is we have any encryption packages for the 400, I know
>  think this is available as a feature but I can not find the book or pages
>  that I read this in.
>
>  Anyone know where I can hunt this information up? and so I can give the
>  choices, I posted on the COBOL list for any home grown code, but I could
>  also use some input on any packages anyone might have used.
>
>  My understanding is that security wants us to encrypt UID/PWD that we have
>  in a external client user verification system, so basically the thing does
>  not need to be heavy duty. I am going to surf about and cook up a list of
>  possibilities that I can match with any possible Kudos and/or horror
>  stories.
>
>  Tia,
>
>  Howard Weatherly
>  Systems Advisor