> Has any on written or found a mail reader for  good old 5250 tubs?  We use a
>  lot of them for various reasons and would like to offer e-mail to all our
>  users without the expense of a PC for 300 5250 users.

Desk Master from http://www.seacrest.com
may be exactly what you are looking for.

There may be other vendors out there with similar services, but this one
offers the full range of PC internet document exchange type stuff for the
5250 green screen environment.  You can do e-mail, from a 5250 either
internal or external.  You can do word processing on 5250 green screen &
attach those documents to your e-mail.  You can do e-mail lists ... basically
clusters of people in address book of individual or corporate, so that
particular topics are sent to everyone in a particular group.  You can do
forms interfaced to your 400 files ... basically data flows in & out of the
enterprise in a "form" attached to the green screen e-mail, then the fields
of that form can be linked programmatically to fields of your DB2 so you can
use this to get data to & from trading partners, using e-mail that is on 5250.

It has been a while since I worked with it ... there were a lot of other
features than those I exampled here, but I not remember details of how the
e-calendaring 5250 system worked for example.