What you really want to know it how OPS Nav does it. And then you assume
you can do it the same way. I would look at
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/clientaccess/toolkit/vb.htm (
at the bottom is a link
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/clientaccess/toolkit/vbopnav.htm
)  but you cannot assume just because OPS Nav does it you can do it without
any code on the AS/400. That is only true if IBM gives you access to what
they use to do it.

If you can not get access or find out how Ops Nav does it. I would look at
using data queues and LPR (line printer remote) (Remote outq). You can hook
a data queue to an outq and it looks like IBM shows how to read data queues
using VB to see what is in the out queue, somehow release or move the spool
file, and LPR to get the actual report. I have never seen raw data in LPR
so this maybe harder then I think. I think there are some LPR VB controls
you can get.

John Ross