Did this compile A-Ok on some 400 prior to V5R1?
In other words do you have code that worked fine before but broke on V5R1?
Or are you writing some new code?

Can you get to where CPD5237 is stored in the message file & cursor on it &
F1 or otherwise get at the secondary language that clarifies possible
interpretations of the message?

I have DDS in which multiple fields with DIFFERENT NAMES
all point to the SAME named reference field.

Example ... several different dates in the DDS for different purposes, but
they are all dates with the same YYYYMMDD format pointing at the same
standard reference for 8 digit dates.

With DDS, it will not let you use the SAME NAMED field more than once in the
same record output, but programmatically you can use the identical field data
more than one place, by moving it in the RPG that sends the data to the PRTF.

Using reference fields & external definitions was very confusing to me when I
first started programming on the 400, and difficult to navigate when many of
the programs I modifying had tons of this kind of thing ... what a field is
... not in my face as it was on programming prior to the 400, but look up
some place else

field length is some other field plus some number.
contents of some field is extracted from some message file via a called
program.
field definitions spelled out by field reference file which if you search it
is a monster.

I felt I was programming MAPICS again which was strings of substitutions.

I wanted some tool that did not come with the collection of tools my employer
had paid for such that when I am programming, some command key would put what
the heck is all this stuff back in my face when I am working with it, instead
of having to constantly drill down to other objects to trace what the heck is
this field value significance.

However, I can now see that this reference stuff makes it possible for one
program to communicate with one person in English & another in Spanish &
another in ..... because of an override that calls for which language version
substitutions are going to be made, and if we have many programs wanting to
access the same file, there is consistency in the access.

I prefer to use the old RPG output specifications format & for the printer
output file just copy one from some other program, changing the name to
PROGRAMO (last letter O meaning output file from program named PROGRAM).  I
have a LOT of program output files like that in the software I have developed.

> I'm confused. I've just started working on a client's new V5R1 machine,
> and I'm trying to compile a printer file in which the output fields point
> various fields in a field reference file. For consistency sake, all of the
> quantity fields in the printer file point to the same field in the FRF. The
> compile fails with the message CPD5237 Field or ALIAS name specified more
> than once in a record.
>
>  I've never run accross this before. Is this something new in V5, or did
the
> client forget some PTF's when he set up the machine?
>
>  I'll have to internally define the fields for now.
>
>  Paul Nelson
>  Braxton-Reed, Inc.
>  877-777-2729 Office
>  630-327-8665 Cell