From: <jkrueger@andrewscg.com>
> What often happens is that the project proceeds on the original
> assumptions, and then the users end up in a severe state of disappointment
> and disenchantment, because even though you delivered what they
> asked for, it isn't what they wanted!

ISVs and IBM Business Partners have been under intense market pressure to
convert their 5250 screens into something GUI.  In my previous employment,
our customers (users) were happy with the UI, and the underlying business
process.  But our marketing department hated to demo 5250.

After I left, that company licensed Jacada Innovator and got started with a
conversion project.  A former associate told me the project was later
scrapped.  I didn't find out most of the reasons.  I think it got down to
the cost of supporting a GUI that was essentially identical to underlying
5250 process.

You pointed out that when the underlying business process is flawed, the
addition of a Web or GUI component won't solve it.  On the other hand, it
seems that a process that's already sound doesn't benefit much from a 5250
to GUI conversion.   It makes me wonder how Jacada earns their millions.
Marketing to the intense pressure that ISVs are under to supply a GUI?  Or
by offering solutions with real value?

Nathan M. Andelin
www.relational-data.com