QDOC = Slow
IFS = Fast

Agreed, however, IFS uses lots of disk space.  Some time ago, I noticed
that the IFS was consuming lots of tapes, and I did some investigation.  I
determined that typical objects in the IFS (relatively small) use on
average about 2 and a half times the amount of disk space that they report.

When I inquired about this to Rochester, literally every developer that I
spoke to started to respond with the same phrase.  "Well, it's a tender
balance..."

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                    "Walden H.
                    Leverich"                 To:
"'midrange-l@midrange.com'" <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    <WaldenL@TechSoftIn       cc:
                    c.com>                    Subject:     RE: Max objects in
Library
                    Sent by:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    01/04/02 09:52 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Ron,

Nope, QDOC is not the same as the IFS. QDOC is a library in QSYS just like
any other with a couple of exceptions:

1) It can contain *DOC and *FLR objects [1]
2) It has three hidden indexes (type 0E CD) called SWFL, SWILL and SWRL.
These indicies are the basis for the "classic" folder interface. Whenever
you use the "classic" folder interface you're using QDOC objects. All
Office
Vision stuff, WRKFLR, CRTDOC, etc. are in QDOC

On the other hand, the IFS is now the "real" file system on an AS/400. QSYS
is actually just one folder contained IN the IFS. When the IFS came into
existence (V4?) the upgrade actually did some magic and changed the entire
underlying file system from QSYS based to IFS based.

So, the IFS contains a bunch of folders one of which is QSYS. QSYS contains
a bunch of libraries, one of which is QDOC. QDOC contains a bunch of
objects
that EMULATE a folder-based file system. The important result of all this
is:

QDOC = Slow
IFS = Fast

-Walden

[1] Technically, any library is capable of containing *DOC and *FLR
objects,
but there is no easy way to create those objects in any other library, nor
can you move or crtdupobj them into another library.

Walden H Leverich III
President
Tech Software
(516)627-3800 x11