A little bit of history is in order here.

The "traditional file system" was the native file system from the
System/38.  Today that system is called QSYS.LIB.

In preparation for the advent of the AS/400, QDOC was added in CPF Release
8.0.  This is a traditional PC like file system, with file names up to
eight characters and extensions up to 3 characters.  It was optimized to
OfficeVision, so there was a lot of overhead for stuff related to OV.  A
number of IBM programs used that file system, and still use it today, even
though IBM no longer "officially" supports it.  Several releases ago, IBM
supported multiple versions of QDOC, putting it in different User ASPs.
(QDOC0002 for ASP 2...)

In V3R1 of OS/400, these two files systems were "picked up" and deposited
into the IFS, which is a more modern PC like file system, with (relatively)
unlimited lengths for file names and extensions.  All of the overhead for
OV was dropped out of this system.  This file system is all done in
Unicode, which is why it has so much overhead.

The EBCDIC QSYS.LIB file system resides in the IFS, which is why V3R1
sucked so badly.  It was kind of like picking up a big building off a flat
slab foundation, digging a basement, and putting the building back on that
foundation.  All of the walls cracked.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                    "Klein, Ron"
                    <ron.klein@brctsg.c       To:
"'midrange-l@midrange.com'" <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    om>                       cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     RE: Max objects in
Library
                    midrange-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    01/04/02 09:22 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Al,
Could I get a definition of what a QDOC library is, is that what the IFS is
considered?

Thanks
Ron