The V5R1M0 Memo to Users details the changes necessary for cabling when you
have an opsconsole - it labels it "Ops Console for LAN connectivity" but it
applies to both LAN Console and normal Ops Console.

Check where you Ops Console is cabled into on your 270.  Is it cabled into
the twinax card or the 2771 internal modem ??  Try swapping where it is
plugged into and then IPLing or forcing DST to see if it comes up.
Furthermore, try plugging it into whichever is in slot 6.

Good references are at:
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/clientaccess/qnaopcons.htm

Check the documentation section and download the instructions for V5R1 -
V5R0 is a little thin on the ground <GRIN>.

Also, make sure you are at SI01097 with the extra fixes downloaded (as
detailed at the above link).

I've gotting it working great attached to an 820 from both NT4 and Win 2K -
also from my laptop running win2k.

Give us yell if you have any (more) problems - and ideally do the PC upgrade
at the same time you do the iSeries upgrade.

Dwayne Lindner
Team Leader - Data Centre
Wesfarmers Rural Information Technology
184 Railway Parade, Bassendean WA 6054