Don,

I've been gently reminded not to over-whelm the list with posts, and gently
scolded for not wearing my "househusband cap" much lately...;-)

I hate to sound like a broken record, but you could probably guess my views
on this subject:  the best way for IBM to pull this out is the iNation...
(Surprise...!)

Let me explain WHY I believe this:  If the 400 sold in quantities
proporitional to it's value to business, it is likely to become one of the
predominant forces in the industry...  Not saying it WILL happen, but it
could fairly easily.  It's showing gains, lately, when the rest of the
industry is slumping...  The sands are shifting, on their own accord.  Gonzo
marketing, through the iNation, could turn this into a full-blown avalanche
of sand...!

Problem is:  the market will never accept a company taking that kind of a
dominant role in the industry.  This is eventually what will sink MicroHard
(regardless of how far the DOJ bends over and takes it.. regardless of what
happens with the OSS community).

IBM may have some plans to resume the halcyon days of it's mainframe
glory...  But that'll NEVER happen.  The market will NEVER accept another
company coming anywhere near the dominance of M$.  Ain't gonna happen, as
far as I can see...

UNLESS, the effort is a collaboration of IBM and it's customers.  Then it
*could* happen, IMV...  IBM's done it's part, to try to jump-start this
collaboration.  I look at the efforts of the iCitizens, and I see...

...your eServer Nation site, Don...

and...

...That's it.

Not to minimize the efforts of david, John Carr, Wayne Madden and all the
rest of youse...  But those aren't being done under the flag of the iNation.
(They're still GREAT efforts, though...!)  There are probably other efforts,
which I haven't seen, of course.  But they don't come anywhere close to what
IBM has done, and the work and resources they've put into this iNation
thing.

That's my view...  I'm asking for alternative views, or comments on this
one...  From you Don, or anyone else, of course.

If you want to discuss the iNation, feel free to move the thread.  If you
see a better way.. I'm all ears...!

jt

| |
| |
| | Guys, let me pop the stack a bit.
| |
| | The Intel P-4 chipset is designed to run a 30-gigahertz cpu clock speed.
| |
| | Keep in mind that MOST Intel based software suppliers are not STUPID
| | ENOUGH to teir their pricing schedule to the hardware it's
| running on.  I
| | think IBM is in for one helluva continued wake up call when the faster
| | (even 9 ghz!) chipsets come out...heck that in a cluster CPU environment
| | will cover alot of sins usually attributed to windows/unix
| ineffeciencies.
| |
| | Now, let your mind wonder as to how long a client will want to even
| | consider the current tiered pricing ripoff schema vs a per seat schema
| | for pricing....:)
| |
| | Then consider how long they will laugh at you when you consider a tiered
| | to the hardware pricing schema of a slower, costlier box....:)
| |
| | IBM has alot of work ahead of them.  I think they can pull it out...but
| | they're gonna be busy....
| |
| | Don in DC
| |