Jim,

A couple points:

Do you know if Jim Baker is considered "an Executive of IBM"?

Here's what Andrew sent me, which is also through the iNation:  (catchy name
for the promo, huh...!)

=========================
i'm Exclusive

I. Highlights
A. Personal use system
1. tailored for a single user and priced to match
B. Capable of handling all workload types
1. including a single 5250 workstation user
C. Wide selection of software pre-installed
1. intended to encourage exploration
D. Pre-configured and pre-loaded
1. ready to run
II. i'M Exclusive - Personal Use System
A. IBM ^ iSeries Model 270
1. Processor - 1070 CPW (FC2432/1516)
2. 256 Mb memory
3. 17 GB disk (2 arms)
4. Ethernet
5. DVD-RAM
6. other options available as standard features and upgrades
B. IBM Software including (but not limited to)
1. WebSphere products
i. WebSphere Application Server
ii. WebSphere Commerce Suite
iii. WebSphere Development Studio
iv. WebSphere Transcoding Publisher
2. Lotus products
i. Domino
ii. iNotes
3. Connect for iSeries, MQ Series . . . and others
C. Non-IBM Software
1. SUSE LinuxJ

=========================

The key, to me, is this phrase:

| It is not
| to be used as a production system on which to run your business or your
| customer's business.

This is the reason I bought my 170, almost 3 years ago, instead of getting
one through PID...  I couldn't guarantee I'd ONLY  use this to

| be used to develop new solutions,  proof of concepts,
| new services
| methodologies, customize applications, conduct demonstrations and other
| such activities that will develop your iSeries services business.

In fact, I used it to do an emergency set of interfaces between a *nix
Merchandising package and a 400 warehouse system...  Does this qualify, or
not...?!?

This terminology is too vague, and why I've been looking into buying another
400, right now.

I'd MUCH rather go with EITHER iNation offering.  I'm thinking the one
Andrew supplied is the better deal, and if they added Sametime, that would
clinch it, for me...  But again, what's the "fine print" on this offer...?
I may NEVER develop a marketable Sametime app...  (And probably wouldn't...)
But what I would probably do is develop code for my clients to use...  Is
that considered "running my business" on the machine, since I'm in the
contract code biz (or at least do it in my "spare time"...;-)...?

If you get any clarification on this, I'd appreciate it...

jt