srichter wrote:

>Have who implement the method using MI?  The compiler ?  If so, how does the
>compiler know to do this ?  Or code MI within the "copy" method ? If so, than
>you still have the overhead of a function call to reach the efficient machine
>code.

The provider of the standard libraries so that the method linked in is
the MI accessing method.

>>What? Are you saying that OOP methods are dependent on being implemented
>>in some form? Isn't that exactly the opposite of OOP theory? So if I
>>went through the standard libraries and replaced string object methods
>>with methods that used the MI calls, then C++ wouldn't work any more?
>>

>The standard library is more C than C++. In C you say "strcpy( ToString,
>FromString)". In C++ you say "ToString = FromString" where the "=" operator is
>overloaded by the string class. So you are back to an inefficient function
>call to reach your optimized method.  Result being an inefficient ( on a CPW
>50 system ) operation.  You are mixing OOP and RPG like coding, ending up with
>code that is not efficient and I would argue slightly not OOP.

But again that is a complaint about the compiler. There is no
requirement that there be some inefficient string processing. Nor is
there a requirement that only RPG get to use MIs when they suit a purpose.

My contention is that it is not a requirement of "modern programming
languages" that they be able to burn extra processing cycles. That is a
requirement of less than optimum compilers and poorly coded standard
libraries.

So beating this problem isn't a matter of plugging in a faster processor
to overcome the poor tools, that just happens to be the solution in the
PC world. Yours is the first time I've heard that described as a
"benefit." I've always heard that complained about, the way bloated
software on PCs requires faster and faster processors to keep it alive.

That said, I have no argument against plugging in faster and faster
processors in the iSeries. I don't know what the hold up is and I'd like
to see GHz speeds, but not as a way of allowing poorly written or
bloated code to be ported to the platform nor as a replacement for
considering the workload being handled.

--
Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one
that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 1 John 4:7