From:   Leif Svalgaard [mailto:leif@leif.org]
Sent:   Thursday, December 27, 2001 9:39 AM
To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject:        Re: Trivia:  Processor MHz

From: Haase, Justin C. <Justin.Haase@Kingland.com>

> Big bets going on around here about the processor speed of a 9406-740
> 12-way.  Granted, the CPW is 4550.  I don't care about ibm's speed rating.
> How fast in MHz do these processors run?  My bet is around 266.  Some are
> saying 4-500!  I don't think so.  Please quantify your results with a
> reputable source.  Thanks!

STRSST
1  start a service tool
4 display/alter/dump
1 display/alter storage
4 tasks/processes
2 process
5 display list of processes
1 (select your process using dev/user/job)
Enter
1 display unformatted data
page down

The first two 4-byte words shown contain the number of clock
ticks when this process last run. Press Enter a few times
to see them change. Most of the time only the second one
will change. The total count is a 64-bit quantity (but *not* the
usual 64-bit MI-type internal clock value).
Press Enter noting the wall clock time to the second.
Write down the clock tick values.
Wait 10 or 20 seconds, then press Enter again.
write down the clock tick values. Subtract the two
values (remember they are in hex). Convert to decimal,
divide by the number of seconds waited, the result
is the MHz rate.
Example:
00013A92 1E3332F2  first enter
00013A92 7832426B  second enter, 20 seconds later
00000000 59FF0F79 is difference (hex)
1,509,887,865 is difference (decimal)
75,494,393 after dividing by 20 is MHz
rounded to 75MHz. This is on an old slow S10 box.

It may be fun to see the values for several other boxes.