Dear Adam,

I followed this thread and saw that you received a lot of excellent advice
from many of the list members. My company is involved with products that
support printing from the iSeries and AS/400 server environments so I
thought it might be a good idea to pass along the following piece of
information to you.

End users working from twinax attached terminals have the option to start a
3270 display session as you mention via the streml3270 command. It is also
possible to define a 3270 compatible printer on an AS/400 that can be
started with the command strprteml from a twinax terminal as well. In the
case of the printer, the end user is describing where mainframe generated
output that arrives at a particular AS/400 input point (the AS/400 defined
mainframe printer object which will have a device description name with a
type of *HOST) should be directed.

In the TCP/IP Telnet specification world, there are two specifications for
both 3270 and 5250 connectivity. The first version of specifications are
known as TN3270 and TN5250. Both of these specifications are display only
and do not support printing. The second updated version of specifications
are known as TN3270E and TN5250E. These later specifications include some
enhancements from the original versions one of which is printing support.

It happens that the current OS/400 based TN3270 client functionality, which
can be started from a twinax terminal with the STRTCPTELN command, is the
original TN3270 display only client. Thus if printing is necessary in your
conversion strategy, you might want to look more closely at the ANYNET
setup. If it isn't, the TCP/IP connection using the TN3270 client built into
OS/400 should work well for you.

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Director, Printer Connectivity Product Management

p: 603.431.0606 x115
f: 603.436.6432
paul@intermate-us.com
www.intermate.com

>From: "Adam Lang" <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com>
>To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
>Subject: 3270 emulation and TCP/IP and Terminals
>Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:56:51 -0500
>
>Hello,
>
>I am new to this list.  I do some work with an AS/400, but I am mostly
Linux