> This is your competition and
>  it's a no-holds-barred fight, now that the DOJ has caved.
>
>  http://scriptingnews.userland.com/backissues/2001/12/19#microsoftsNextMoves

JT

If anyone wants to continue this, how about moving it over to non-tech from
midrange-L?

You repeated the oft stated view that because DoJ gave in to Microsoft, that
it is all over, while other articles, like my recent passing on of major
headlines in this week's eWeek, paint a somewhat different view.

There is the Tunny process where any setttlement needs public comment period
before it is finalized & as part of that process there were Congressional
hearings in which Congress critters called for much more severe sanctions
against Microsoft than anything DoJ ever suggested.

There were a bunch of US states in the anti-trust action against Microsoft.
It was not just Federal DoJ.
Nine of those US states did not agree to the DoJ settlement & they are
continuing their battle.  So long as the parties in power remain so, those
states stand firm at least until their next elections.

The Europeans also have legal action pending against Microsoft & even though
DoJ caved in, the US court process did in fact declare Microsoft to be an
illegal monopoly conducting illegal practices against its competition & this
declaration has strengthened the European case against Microsoft.

There is also a private class action suit against Microsoft & I have seen
practically no coverage of this in the media.