Hi JT -

>Seen many good posts from you in the past.  However, this is just a rant...

It wasn't intended to be just a rant, it was intended to get people to take
a moment to stop and think about what they do.

>I'll just take it for granted that my name was one you were tempted to name.

Actually, no, I did NOT have you in mind.  I'm not talking about people who
write long posts, I'm talking about people who click the reply button and
type in a line or two at top, with the entirety of the received message
below it by default.

>BTW, I know how to use an e-mail program, but don't have time to become
>proficient.  I follow directions as well as anyone.  I absolutely DO "give a
>crap about anything other than their own convenience."

As I said, I didn't have you in mind.

>If you feel this strongly, I'd strongly suggest you write the individuals
>you think are getting out of line, off-list.  This would save david and Don
>a lot of hassles, and makes their job as co-moderators much easier.  The
>list can do a lot to police itself...  (IMV, the list would be far better
>served by david and Don spending most of their time replying, rather than
>moderating.)

I have absolutely no intention of becoming the "list policeman" by emailing
people offline.  First, there a LOT of guilty people.  Second, I'm not
going to email someone that I hardly know and say "You're not doing it
right."  IMO, it's much better to say to a whole group "Make sure you do it
right." so that [hopefully] no one person feels singled out.

>This is what Buck did yesterday, when I slipped up on a REAL long post.  He
>didn't flame me, but courteously reminded me that there are digest users.

Anyone can slip up.  I'm thinking of people who do it consistently.  Those
people need to stop and think about what they are doing.

>I asked a simple question yesterday, but didn't phrase it right:
>
>| I wonder how many people use digest mode, and is it because they pay for
>| connect time.. or what...?!?
>|

>You'd have to see my facial expressions when I wrote it.  I didn't intend
>any sarcasm, or anything like that.  What I intended to say was "I heard
>about digest mode, when I first started on this list, but don't have time to
>mess with it.  Don't know what percentage of folks use it, nor why.  Is it
>because they pay for connect time?  I recall John Earl saying this was
>necessary when travelling overseas, but how often does that come up for
>list-users?  IOW, how big of a problem are we dealing with here.  Are there
>other reasons to use digest mode...?"

For me, neither the time of connect time nor paying for connect time have
anything to do with it.  I have high-speed connections both at home and
with essentially no time constraints.  There are a lot of other
considerations which I think have been quite adequately addressed by other
people.

Ken
http://www.ke9nr.org/
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of
my employer or anyone in their right mind.