Frank,

Please see inline...

jt

I am part Vulcan and part ordinary mortal.  My Vulcan dictionary doesn't
include FIAWOL, so I am forced to assume it is slang.

===> My rates are EXTREMELY REASONABLE when I am sleeping.  That being the
case, I am planning on starting work for you in approximately one hour.  I
can generally get 6 or 7 hours work in for you each night, including
weekends.  Please mail my check at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

<snip>

| As a complete aside I was wondering what Walden was on about re. SEPT.
| This is the first I heard about SEPT.
| Seems to me that accessing system programs via SEPT completely bypass
| AS400 security checking. I am probably wrong.

The following is how Jerry Sprout explained it to me.  But this was back in
'83, so things may have changed.  I believe the general principle still
holds.

The SEPT is the System Entry Point Table.  It is an array of pointers to the
storage location of different system programs.  It's used in MI programming.

A great bit of time is spent location a program, first time it's called.
The SEPT bypasses that, by storing the location of the programs (I believe
when the OS is first installed).  A call is made to program identified by
the Nth element in the SEPT.  These positions in the array are fixed by IBM.
Someone (Simon, or maybe Tom, Phil, Walden?) noted there are two include
files which list SOME of the programs and the corresponding array element
number.

BTW, easiest way I can think of to crater a system is to hook the SEPT.
Move a pointer to one of your programs into the SEPT array.  I wouldn't know
how to go about it, but am sure the MI-list does.

I dunno about security checking.  IIRCAIMN (and I may not) the security is
built into the pointer.