Ken,

Seen many good posts from you in the past.  However, this is just a rant...

I'll just take it for granted that my name was one you were tempted to name.

BTW, I know how to use an e-mail program, but don't have time to become
proficient.  I follow directions as well as anyone.  I absolutely DO "give a
crap about anything other than their own convenience."

If you feel this strongly, I'd strongly suggest you write the individuals
you think are getting out of line, off-list.  This would save david and Don
a lot of hassles, and makes their job as co-moderators much easier.  The
list can do a lot to police itself...  (IMV, the list would be far better
served by david and Don spending most of their time replying, rather than
moderating.)

This is what Buck did yesterday, when I slipped up on a REAL long post.  He
didn't flame me, but courteously reminded me that there are digest users.
(And we got to "talking" about other stuff, as a result of his giving me
this reminder.)  If you'll notice, my posts yesterday got shorter...  Just
needed a reminder.

I asked a simple question yesterday, but didn't phrase it right:

| I wonder how many people use digest mode, and is it because they pay for
| connect time.. or what...?!?

You'd have to see my facial expressions when I wrote it.  I didn't intend
any sarcasm, or anything like that.  What I intended to say was "I heard
about digest mode, when I first started on this list, but don't have time to
mess with it.  Don't know what percentage of folks use it, nor why.  Is it
because they pay for connect time?  I recall John Earl saying this was
necessary when travelling overseas, but how often does that come up for
list-users?  IOW, how big of a problem are we dealing with here.  Are there
other reasons to use digest mode...?"

Still wondering these things, BTW.  And the things in Al Mac's post (which I
skimmed).

I don't think it's a case of non-digest users being inconsiderate slobs, as
a rule...  I think we forget about digest mode, and I don't really
understand it.  If I get the gist of it, it presents these e-mails as one
long post?!?  Well, e-mail is not the best way to diseminate this kind of
info, nor even a close second, IMHO...  But digest mode sounds even worse.
I'd always assumed people could see which are my long posts, and skip
them...  Now I'm not so sure...  But I'm fairly certain that a lot of people
who post are in the same boat as I am...  I don't have time to spend
replying, really, so I SURE don't have a lot of time to spend formatting the
replies.  I normally make the attempt.. anyway.

In any event, maybe the list needed your rant for a reminder, Ken...  I
think there's a need for off-list reminders, as well.

jt