Guys,

<aside>
John,  I'd also like to thank Buck, who deserves more accolades than he got,
for following your outstanding example.

And THANKS for the link to the HP3000 list...!  Didn't join yet, but this is
JUST what I was looking for...!
</aside>

| Again,   Read this article it's good
|
| http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/12/17/011217hnintegration.xml

All the comments below are ALL RIGHT ON TARGET (IMHO)...

Except I disagree with Al, in one small respect.  I rarely find that you
can't have it both ways.

IMNSHO, IBM doesn't know how to spend their development dollars...  I
started a long tirade yesterday on this subject.  Here's a snip of (again,
IMNSHO) a few of the salient points:

Ya know, though...  I re-read the article on IBM's initiative.  Re-read my
post on the "RE: Correction - Future - IBM connects its software layers -
Xperanto" thread.  Went back and found InfoWorld article last week about
Xperanto
(http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/12/13/011213hnxperanto.xml?1213
thpm).

I'm pretty skittish about all this.

I have serious reservations that the market will EVER accept something like
Websphere, as the UNIVERSAL middleware to deploy applications on.  It
APPEARS to me that this is the strategy.  I try to NEVER say "never"...  So
I'll just say I'd be stunned speechless (and that doesn't happen often...;-)
IF (big if) the "Open" Source community doesn't end up eating IBM's lunch,
in the middleware arena.  But I firmly believe that the market will NEVER
accept one vendor providing the framework to develop apps on, because of the
experience with the MicroHard legal/ethical/moral monopoly.

What I'm not sure about is whether my recollection of previous attempts, at
these kinds of grand schemes, has overly influenced my judgment about the
prospects.  I remember SAA...  I remember OS/2...  I remember WorkPlace
shell...  (Now, at least IBM brought OS/2 to market and sustained it and
still sustains it to some extent.  But it was swallowed whole by the
MicroHard juggernaut.)  And having seen enough of these things come and go..
Well, like I said, I'm pretty skittish about these latest efforts.

I look at this quote in the previous link:  "Mattos continued that Xperanto
will be the materialization of IBM's work on a number of Web
services-related standards, including XQuery, XML Schema, UDDI (Universal
Description, Discovery, and Integration), SOAP (Simple Object Access
Protocol), WSDL (Web Services Description Language) and WSFL (Web Services
Flow Language)."

Now what I think is:  Lord have mercy...!  HOW MANY NEW PARADIGMS AM I GONNA
HAFTA LEARN, TO GET ANYTHING USEFUL OUT OF ALL THIS...?!?  And I remember
how some of the grand plans IBM's laid out have never come to full fruition
(or even partial, in some cases).

That's why I'm skittish.  And I think there's a better way.  IMV, IBM
should:
a) give up trying to politically negotiate good systems design
b) quit spending so many resources trying to get optimal performance
c) use the market and, in particular, this list to see what REALLY flies in
TRW

John/anyone:  What am I missing?

jt