Walden,

Again, excellent points.

What I wonder is 1000 folks in the community would be willing to chip in to
find that 1 hole in 1000...?  I would.

If including all the folks work in businesses that run 400s, it may even be
possible for 1 million folks to chip in to find that 1-in-a-million variety
of hole.

The reason I say they **might** is because if that 1 hacker in a million
gets access to the wrong information, the whole stability of e-business is
shaken...  And as the business world gets more and more into e-business, the
target becomes more and more tempting to hackers.  So I think it'd be safer
to assume that the 1 in a million hack WILL happen, than assume it won't, in
the near future.  As this becomes more frequent, it will apply some hard
brakes to e-business reaching it's potential...

jt

| |
| |
| | It's late so I'll wait until tomorrow to elaborate on the tool, but as
| | far as hacking the AS/400 serial number, yes it can and has been done.
| | If you know an address or two it's almost trivial.
| |
| | -Walden
| |
| |
| | ------------
| | Walden H Leverich III
| | President
| | Tech Software
| | (516)627-3800 x11
| | WaldenL@TechSoftInc.com
| | http://www.TechSoftInc.com
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | Walden,
| |
| | Is that VB?
| |
| | VERY interested in this tool, if you wanna elaborate.
| |
| | ==> But here's the thing:  (I'm NOT contradicting you, but just asking
| | the
| | question.)  Has it ever been done AND/OR IS it theoretically
| | possible: COULD
| | a 400 machine serial number be hacked...?!?  I guess I'm asking
| if there's
| | ANY WAY CONCEIVABLE?  I think this is a key question.
| |
| | jt
| |
| |
| |
| | |
| | |
| | | I'm not sure if you could keep ahead of the hackers, but I'd guess
| | | not. I forgot about CPU serial number, but my intent is to include
| | | it in the tool too (this isn't theory for me). Since we can safely
| | | say that this tool will be used in the corporate environment I don't
| | | see a problem saying that the PCs involved must allow the retrieval
| | | of the Intel serial number. AFAIK, there is no way to emulate or
| | | override the CPUID machine instruction so this would be very
| | | difficult to hack.
| | |
| | | In a COM environment you'd use to tool something like:
| | |
| | | Dim upm as new ProfileManager
| | | Dim usr as string
| | | Dim pwd as string
| | |
| | | upm.GetProfile("AS400Name", "ServiceName")
| | | Usr = Upm.User
| | | Pwd = Upm.Password
| | | Set upm = nothing
| | |
| | | ServiceName is site-specific and could include things like
| | | "EndOfMonth Accounting FTP" or "VRU Password Download" or whatever
| | | floats your boat.
| | |
| | | -Walden
| | |
| | | ------------
| | | Walden H Leverich III
| | | President
| | | Tech Software
| | | (516)627-3800 x11
| | | WaldenL@TechSoftInc.com
| | | http://www.TechSoftInc.com
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | Walden,
| | |
| | | Sounds like a keeper, to me...  Thanks...!
| | |
| | | I would add processor serial number to the criteria to validate, at
| | | least amongst 400s and other platforms that support this.  (Intel
| | | could have, but was required by the user community to allow this
| | | feature to be disabled at the user's option.)
| | |
| | |
| | | But I'd like to take this to the next level...  (Again, don't know
| | | the
| | | technology.)  I'd like to know more about the issues surrounding "Can
| | | it be defeated, of course..."...
| | |
| | | I think a part of the answer to this is collaboration amongst
| | | trusted users...  Don't know any specifics, but it would seem that
| | | different methods of security should be rotated, and continually
| | | evolved, to give the hackers a moving target.  Spread the security
| | | methods around, along the
| | lines that
| | | the DNS addresses are spread through the Net (although at a MUCH
| | | quicker rate).
| | |
| | |
| | | My question is whether it's possible (theoretically AND
| | | practically) to keep
| | | the security methods evolving fast enough to **simulate** staying
| | | one step ahead of the hackers...?!?  (You'll always have a small
| | | minority of crooked insiders, so you can only "simulate" staying
| | | ahead of the hackers, AFAIK.)
| | |
| | |
| | | j "outta here for now!" t