I guess it's a question of when are you secure enough? Note that I said
changing the serial number was "almost trivial" not "almost trivial without
secofr-level access". If someone has secofr-level access then I wouldn't be
too concerned with the serial number issue. <G> Digital certificates,
encryption (IPSEC, SSL, PGP, DES, etc.) could all add to the level of
security, but if it's coded somewhere then it's hackable. It's not until you
add in things like bio-metrics (retina, fingerprint, etc.) that you get to a
degree of unhackability and even then, I don't need you, just your eye or
finger.

Can white-hat hackers help, maybe. But it would also be up to the owner of
the code to make changes according to the findings of the community and the
owner would need development dollars to make those changes. Would the
community be willing to spend development money (in the form of maintenance
fees) to fix a hole that 1 in a million people might find? Probably not. A
hole that 1 in 10 might find, probably yes. A hole that 1 in 1000 might
find? Hard to say.

As far as details of the Profile Manager tool go, yes that is vb code in the
example. VB makes a great test platform for COM since it's so damn easy.
I'll contact you off-list with more details on the tool itself since I'd
hate to be accused of posting something that might tarnish the dignity of
this forum! <G>

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President