Jim,

   In these cases I personally did ALL the option 5 pieces as you
suspect. We did add several new pieces (JDK 1.3 for example and all of
WDS but this is common to All my upgrades)

   In each case they were V4R5 to V5R1 upgrades.
   In each case the failures occured:
        on dual processor 820's
        with minimum of 2G memory
        each with 42 drives
        each with at least 50G free disk

   Recovery did not require even an IPL. As soon as the LPP install
section completes (where PTFs would normally be applied) simply take
option 11 on LICPGM, select the failed pgms, and reload all the CDs.
THEN move on the the PTFs.

   I think Al is onto something with the multi-tasking of the LPP
install. This is absolutely an improvement over the single threaded
model used years ago but certainly has to be more complicated to manage
especially on these faster machines. On each of the systems where I
experienced the failures the list of programs being loaded concurrently
was off the bottom of the screen at the point of failure. All my prior
upgrades were single CPU systems with much smaller memory and disk
configuratoins.

   - Larry