Scott,

Ohhhhhh...:D !  This one was better yet...!

IMHO, the experience of the collaboration between Microscrew and IBM on OS/2
may be telling...  I, for one, am glad M$ isn't a significant player in the
400 arena.

A few of the fascinating (to me) views in this article:

"The noncommercial FreeBSD implementation of Microsoft's C#, or Visual C#,
and CLI is aimed at academic, research and debugging pursuits only,
according to Microsoft."

"This does not mean they're porting .Net to FreeBSD," says Peter O'Kelly, a
senior analyst at the Patricia Seybold Group. 'This is at the intersection
of two things: they're serious about C# being a real standard and making it
available to academic and research communities where open source gets the
most mileage. That's the right place for it.'"

The first or second post I wrote, year ago July, was a rebuttal of Leslie
Russell's News/400 article on OSS.  Unfortunately the thread died after that
post...  I had started writing a second one to suggest that ***MAYBE*** the
one area where I could see some benefit to OSS would be if IBM made MI OS.
I've suggested, in a couple posts, that ***MAYBE*** that would be a great
move, and IBM could change the name to OSS/400.

"Apple Computer's recent hiring of FreeBSD leader Jordan Hubbard has
prompted some to question the open-source future of that operating system,
thus making FreeBSD more palatable to Microsoft."

Ya... I was wondering about that maself...

"'I don't think Linux is the target. It's IBM,' says Tom Adelstein,
president of Bynari, a Dallas-based Linux ISV and IBM solution provider.
'Microsoft is very scared because IBM can cut into their market at their
weakest point.'"

I'm not sure what the last part means... but, ya.. sure...  IBM is
definitely the target...

"...says Tony Goodhew, a Microsoft product manager in the developer group.
'There is no love lost between FreeBSD and Linux crowds.  There is a concept
that open source equals Linux, and that's no more true than open source
equals Unix.'"

Frankly, this is what attracted me to FreeBSD, in the first place (although
I still haven't really looked at it much).  My main hangup with the
FSF/OSI/Linux thugs are that:
a) they CALL themselves open, but are EXTREMELY restrictive
b) they're run by dictators
c) they're attempting to beat M$ by forming a monopoly
d) AFAIK, they PLAN to eliminate intellectual property rights
e) they've stated they can accomplish this by a simple name change (from
"Free Software" to "Open Source")
f) they're smart enough to pull one over on the industry, and IMV, basically
have

Anyhoo... got some unexpected company (in-Laws), so can't follow up on Al
Mac's posts.

jt