Absolutes is ALL our auditors speak in. We have no need to use RUNRMTCMD, but
saying that, we have been informed that this command is NOT to be used, UNLESS
a valid User Profile/password is PROMPTED for. ABSOLUTEly NO hard-coded
user/passwords to be implemented, AND we are talking immediate dismissal if
this is discovered. So by that virtue, NO RUNRMTCMD.
Is there any reason why this is required - and no other method/procedure can be
utilized?

>>> <rob@dekko.com> 12/14/01 03:32PM >>>

Isn't it so nice to spout in absolutes?

And how, pray tell, would you have a batch program, like RUNRMTCMD, access
your 400?  Force it to only run interactive and prompt the userid and
password?

Rob Berendt

==================
Benjamin Franklin

                    "alan shore"
                    <SHOREA@dime.com>         To:     <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Fax to:
                    drange.com                Subject:     RE: QUSER on ODBC
requests

                    12/14/2001 02:10 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Speaking from experience, ANY application that requires a hard-coded User
Profile/password SHOULD be rejected by both the internal and external
auditors of any savings and thrift. The same would go for any shared User
Profiles.
>>> <rob@dekko.com> 12/14/01 02:05PM >>>

Nothing is impossible but you can make it difficult.  Store it into a
variable at run time by unscrambling something.  Or don't use the variable
but start concatenating several strings together in the CALLP itself.

Repeat.  Given enough time, talent and drive anything can be cracked.  You
can only take reasonable steps.  Look at IBM - they can tell you what your
last 32 passwords are.  "Oh well, that's IBM."  If you feel that way - look
at all the tools and utilities that Pentasafe has for security and you'll
quickly realize that IBM isn't the only tool in the box.  There are just
times when you need to 'hardcode' a userid and password.

Frankly one of the things I miss about PC support versus Client Access is
the ability to start the connection with a batch file and have the user id
and password buried in there.  Now we have to tell every supervisor that
fires up this shop floor control PC to use the same user id and password or
the control programs from the 400 won't work.  I wouldn't be surprised to
see a post it note on the PC with this.  (See RUNRMTCMD.)

Rob Berendt

==================
Benjamin Franklin

                    "Gary Monnier"
                    <garymon@powertechg       To:
<midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    roup.com>                 cc:
                    Sent by:                  Fax to:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Subject:     RE: QUSER on
ODBC requests
                    drange.com

                    12/14/2001 01:49 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

If you have a vendor that hard codes user profiles and passwords into their
products, you better take very close look at that vendor.  Any vendor hard
coding profiles and passwords has access to your system(s).

If you have a program with a hard coded password dump the object (DMPOBJ).
Scan the resulting dump for the password.  Can you find it?