From: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-l-admin@midrange.com]On Behalf Of rob@dekko.com
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 10:51 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: QUSER on ODBC requests

Everyone may rant on how hard coding user id's and passwords are a bad idea
but there are some applications where this is a necessity.  Well, I suppose
you could put them in a dataarea or some such animal but you get the same
results.

For example, you want to do some batch ftp between one system and another.
Remember I said batch.  And you get this EDI process that runs unattended.
I have no urge to hire someone to key in a userid and password.  If I did,
I'd make the poor bugger click on icons or some other worthless application
to look busy.

Again,  I have a Domino application which gets data from the 400.  The
people running this application sometimes don't even have iSeries
passwords.  Are you saying that instead of just clicking on a button to
retrieve the data, that now I should also pop up a box that prompts them
for an iSeries user id and password?  Ludicrous!

Rob Berendt

==================
Benjamin Franklin

                    "Gary Monnier"
                    <garymon@powertechg       To:
<midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    roup.com>                 cc:
                    Sent by:                  Fax to:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Subject:     RE: QUSER on ODBC
requests
                    drange.com

                    12/14/2001 01:38 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

At least the hard coded user profile isn't set to expire.  Hard coding user
profiles and passwords is a REALLY BAD IDEA.  Just think of all the special
coding that could be done by hard coding user id and password.