Brad,

Been thinking about this some more...  The possibility of NLS (near-line
storage) at FLS (fairly low "scratch" ;-) is HUGE, from what I can tell...
This is something I've always wanted to see...:  Take advantage of cheap PC
hardware on the iSeries...  G's of cheap memory, T's of cheap RAID..
Accessed by OS/400...

Now, I'm not gonna say you WILL have a problem here, but just relating a
past experience that may not apply in this situation:

Sprout wrote (AFAIK) the first non-IBM MI compiler in '83.  He also wrote,
and marketed briefly, the first "Copy Screen" utility in the mid-80's.  IBM
came out with CPYSCN (or whatever) ***the next release of CPF***.  And that
was back in the days when CPF advanced at a relative snail's-pace.  (No
offense.. just compared to today...)

That's why I posted before (something like): time to market is KEY, because
as soon as IBM gets even a whiff of your success, they may decide to market
the thing themselves.  There go your margins...

You may be able to make a decent living on those margins, and/or IBM may not
enter the market...

Now, I know your "bag" is putting together great hardware/software combos.
But another possibility is marketing this as a software only solution, to
run on IXA/IXS...  Ends the maintenance problem, and encourages IBM to leave
the market to you.

One technical question:  isn't emulating a 7208 (a serial tape drive) gonna
be a limiting factor in making this work as a NLS device?  The tape length
is probably gonna be a minor issue, and probably solvable..  But I wonder
about emulating a tape drive?

jt