We have to agree to disagree on this one...

I'm not opposed to Ops Nav.

I'm vehemently opposed to needing to go to a third party, for tools IBM
(IMV) SHOULD supply.  (I hope Simon Coulter can make some decent scratch on
IBM's (IMV) blunder, but...)

You say they use the command line, themselves...?  How does that sit with
the notion that more and more functionality is provided ONLY through Ops
Nav...?!?  How do they come to these decisions, then...?  That there are
certain cases where a GUI is the ONLY WAY TO GO...?

Now, if Simon Coulter finds a market...:  That would be proof-positive that
these decisions are bogus...  Wonder if he's reached break-even yet...

jt

| |
| |
| | Mike:
| |
| | On Wed, 12 December 2001, "Smith, Mike" wrote:
| |
| | > ok, i'll concede that, cause i wasn't aware of that, but i'm
| | lazy and don't
| | > wanna have to install netserver.
| | > if i can see that it is there through ops nav then LET ME OPEN
| | IT. i want to
| | > have my cake and eat it to.
| |
| | I don't quite understand "install netserver". There's nothing to
| | "install" unless you mean any necessary host-server options of
| | OS/400 or the networking service on the PC. Of course, if you
| | have never installed the host side of things nor PC networking,
| | you ain't gonna be pulling anything down to PCs anyway.
| |
| | As for opening through OpsNav directly... I can edit it now
| | (using OpsNav 5.1 at least) by selecting RMB-<Edit>. However, I'm
| | not sure that should be allowed. My personal feeling is that it
| | should _only_ be allowed through a defined share (mapped drive).
| | I'd rather have OpsNav have as small a footprint as possible; and
| | since I can map a drive through OpsNav and since I can do
| | anything else needed through the mapped drive without executing
| | OpsNav in the future, I'd prefer not having OpsNav include the
| | support that my Windows desktop already has. Further, I might
| | have a more centralized control of authorities if I can rely more
| | on share permissions. And if I haven't created a share, it's a
| | public way to demonstrate that objects in that directory
| | shouldn't be accessed directly from a client.
| |
| | Tom Liotta
| |
| | --
| | Tom Liotta
| | The PowerTech Group, Inc.
| | 19426 68th Avenue South
| | Kent, WA 98032
| | Phone  253-872-7788
| | Fax  253-872-7904
| | http://www.400Security.com
| |
| |
| | ___________________________________________________
| | The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
| |  Better!  Faster! More Powerful!
| |  250 FREE hours! Sign-on Now!
| |  http://www.compuserve.com/trycsrv/cs2000/webmail/
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
| | at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.
| |