I heard from IBM this morning, and the changing the ownership was
necessitated by the fact that the user must exist on the target system, and
that's why QSYS was picked.  They agreed to change the documentation.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                    thomas@inorbit.com
                    Sent by:                  To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       cc:
                    drange.com                Subject:     Re: Does QSYS have
to own QINSTAPP programs created for
                                               LODRUN

                    12/11/01 10:29 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

On Tue, 11 December 2001, Chuck Morehead wrote:

> I read the documentation that I cited on a previous thread more closely.
It
> was basically giving step-by-step instructions for creating a CD.  It
says
> to change the owner of QINSTAPP to QSYS, but does not say why.  That is,
it
> never actually states that it is a requirement.

There are two examples there, one for "objects" and one for "licensed
programs". The one for objects states "Change the owner to QSYS." The other
states "Change the owner to QSYS. QSYS MUST be the owner of the QINSTAPP
program".

However, I don't consider these pages to be documentation any more than I
would Redbooks. Stuff on those pages is just examples.

AFAIK, the general requirement is that the owning profile should exist on
the system that executes LODRUN. I'm not totally certain that that's an
absolute requirement depending on (1) what profile executes LODRUN, (2)
what system values, etc., are set and (3) what the USRPRF() attribute of
QINSTAPP is, i.e., *OWNER or *USER.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta