Al/anyone...

After I mulled over this a day or two, I realized I had asked the wrong
question.  Or rather I should have asked two separate questions:

===> What would it take to get IBM to, at least, *consider* the possibility
of turning over iSeries documentation to the iNation...?!?

===> What would it take for iCitizens to develop world-class documentation?

The second question is totally independent of the first.  You can look for
answers to the second question, whether or not IBM wants to support the
iNation in this regard.  Obviously, this could be done MUCH better with IBM
support.  But it's not a necessary condition.

FAQs abound without any help from IBM.  IMHO, they just suffer from lack of
enough people comitting time and effort, and lack of decent software to
organize the project, more than lacking anything else.  Seems like that
would be one area the iNation could provide a very visible value-add to
iCitizens.  (Again, with or without IBM help.)

jt

| |
| |
| | Al,
| |
| | >From the link david provided, step 3:
| |
| | "Change the owner to QSYS.
| | QSYS MUST be the owner of the QINSTAPP program
| |
| | CHGOBJOWN OBJ(QTEMP/QINSTAPP) OBJTYPE(*PGM) NEWOWN(QSYS)"
| |
| | This is why I prefer to test EVERY piece of information against actual
| | experience, no matter WHO it comes from.  You and others have
| contradicted
| | this theory, and while I haven't tried it myself, I tend to go by your
| | experience rather than IBM docs, in this case (and many others).
| |
| |
| | BTW, NOBODY'S perfect.. but YOU DEFINITELY have a loooong ways to go, to
| | catch up to me in the "dumb" department...  LOL...!
| |
| | I'm still looking for that English-Netspeak dictionary myself.
| | IIRC = If I
| | Recall Correctly.  Anyone in the biz for a length of time knows
| | the problems
| | of "intermittant Alzeimher's" which I suffer from...  As the son of a
| | Professor of Journalism, I learned to qualify ALL my
| statements.. but I've
| | slacked off...  I should preface EVERY sentence with IIRC...;-)
| |
| | jt
| |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | jt,
| | |
| | | I'm not in the office, so I don't have access to my system, but
| | I'm fairly
| | | sure that QINSTAPP doesn't have to be owned by QSYS.  We use LODRUN to
| | | install TAA Tools.
| | |
| | | Not to be dumb, but what is IIRC?
| | |
| | | Al
| | |
| | | Al Barsa, Jr.
| | | Barsa Consulting Group, LLC
| | |
| | | 400>390
| | |
| | | 914-251-1234
| | | 914-251-9406 fax
| | |
| | | http://www.barsaconsulting.com
| | | http://www.taatool.com
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |                     "jt" <jt@ee.net>
| | |                     Sent by:                  To:
| | | <midrange-l@midrange.com>
| | |                     midrange-l-admin@mi       cc:
| | |                     drange.com                Subject:     RE: CD
| | | Burning software?
| | |
| | |
| | |                     12/09/01 10:19 AM
| | |                     Please respond to
| | |                     midrange-l
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | Al,
| | |
| | |
| | | IIRC (and I'm pretty sure I do) the docs said that QINSTAPP
| | | *MUST* be owned
| | | by QSYS.  I don't always believe the docs, and comments on the list
| | | indicate
| | | otherwise...
| | |
| | |
| | | I'm still flummoxed by this issue of LODRUN...  OT1H, you're
| | lookin to pay
| | | good money to a software vendor, and run their app or tool on your
| | | system...
| | | But OTOH, you wouldn't trust their install program...?!?
| | |
| | | Like you said, I think there's a bug in the logic here, as you
| | necessarily
| | | imply an awful lot of trust in the vendor, in the first place.
| | |
| | |
| | | jt
| | |