Not only does QSYS not have to own QINSTAPP, it would be
unnatural for it to do so.

QINSTAPP can be owned by any profile that you like with two
caveats in mind:
1) The profile must already be known to the system (which makes
QUSER and QPGMR good candidates).
2) The profile must have enough authority to execute the
instructions in the program.

The second point may have a lot to do with why QSYS owns the
QINSTAPP in question here.

Just for fun, (temporarily) turn on User Profile auditing for
QSYS and then restore the object and see what they are up to.
You'll likely find that they are either being devious (changing
stuff they shouldn't), or just plain stupid (assuming way more
authority than they really need).

I'd love to hear the outcome of this Al,

jte

--
John Earl
johnearl@powertechgroup.com